Office Phone and Email
Room: 5 E 5
Phone: +49 931 31-83226
Office hours during winter semester 2018/19
Thursdays, 2:00 pm-3:00 pm
Please send me an email if you plan on attending my office hour with the rough topic(s) you would like to discuss.
Pragmatics, Variational Pragmatics, Intercultural Communication, Corpus Linguistics, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, World Englishes, Sociolinguistics
PhD project – working title: “Pragmatic Variation Across Second-Language Varieties of English and Learner Englishes – A Speech-Act-Based Study”
2013 Bachelor of Arts “Anglophone Studies” and “Spanische Sprache u. Kultur”
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
2016 Master of Arts “Applied Linguistics”
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn (2013-2016)
Introduction to Language and Communication Studies
Language and Gender
That's no way to talk! (In)appropriateness in language use
Unpublished B.A. Thesis: “The negotiation of gender identity in weblogs – A case study”
Unpublished M.A. Thesis: “Learning to Do Small Talk – Ideal or Reality? Teachers' Beliefs about the Development of Pragmatic Competence in EFL Classrooms”
- "But I think uh the situation in Hong Kong is different" – DISAGREEMENT in Hong Kong English (accepted). Fifth International Conference of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (ISLE), London. 17-20 July 2018.
- Does the successful integration of pragmatics into the foreign language classroom start at university? Asking prospective teachers of English (Poster). ALP Jahrestagung (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Linguistische Pragmatik e.V.), Stuttgart. 6 March 2018.
- Disagreeing in second-language varieties of English and learner Englishes (Talk). ISLE Summer School (International Society for the Linguistics of English), Regensburg. 4-7 October 2017.
- Studying pragmatic variation in second-language varieties of English with ICE – challenges and opportunities (Talk). ICAME 38 (International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English), Prague. 24-28 May 2017.
- Learning to do small talk –ideal or reality? Teachers' beliefs about the development of pragmatic competence in EFL classrooms (Poster). NEL-1 (Nachwuchstagung für Englische Linguistik), Würzburg. 1 July 2016.
- "Small Talk wär mal ganz gut, glaub ich." Pragmatic competence from the perspective of EFL teachers (Talk). BAELc5 (Fifth Bonn Applied English Linguistics Conference), Bonn. 3-4 June 2016.
- Gender Stereotypes and Discursive Strategies in Online Dating: A Contrastive Study of US American and Spanish Males (Talk). BAELc3 (Third Bonn Applied English Linguistics Conference), Bonn. 23-24 May 2014.