Office Phone and Email
From 5 November on: Thursdays, 10-11
Fachbereichsprechstunde: Tuesday, 20 October, 10-12
In order to sign up for my online office hour, please access the classroom "Office hours - Lehnen" on WueCampus and follow the instructions given there: https://wuecampus2.uni-wuerzburg.de/moodle/course/view.php?id=39520. The password to enroll is "Lehnen".
If you prefer to talk to me in person, please send me an e-mail at least one day in advance and make sure to follow the current instructions by the university regarding the Coronavirus:
Pragmatics, Variational Pragmatics, Intercultural Communication, Corpus Linguistics, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, World Englishes, Sociolinguistics
PhD project – working title: “Pragmatic Variation Across Second-Language Varieties of English and Learner Englishes – A Speech-Act-Based Study”
2013 Bachelor of Arts “Anglophone Studies” and “Spanische Sprache u. Kultur”
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
2016 Master of Arts “Applied Linguistics”
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
Introduction to Language and Communication Studies
Seminar and exercise for graduate students:
The Pragmatics of World Englishes (Winter 2018/19)
Language and Gender
That's no way to talk! (In)appropriateness in language use
English as a Lingua Franca
Lehnen, L. (forthc.). An der Schnittstelle von Theorie und Praxis: Das Unterrichten von Pragmatik im Fremdsprachenunterricht Englisch aus Sicht von (angehenden) Lehrkräften. To appear in H. Limberg & K. Glaser (Eds.), Pragmatische Kompetenzen im schulischen Fremdsprachenunterricht. Peter Lang.
Lehnen, L. [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (forthc.). ‘The future elected government should fully represent the interests of Hongkong people’ – Diachronic change in the use of modalising expressions in Hong Kong English between 1928 and 2018. To appear in P. Hohaus & R. Schulze (Eds.), Re-Assessing Modal Expressions - Categories, Co-text, and Context. John Benjamins.
Lehnen, L. [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (2020). Hongkongites, Hong Kongers, Hong Kong Belongers? Tracing identity (re)constructions in news discourse in Hong Kong from 1903 to 1999. To appear in English World-Wide 41 (3).
Lehnen, L. (2016). Learning to Do Small Talk – Ideal or Reality? Teachers' Beliefs about the Development of Pragmatic Competence in EFL Classrooms [M.A. thesis]. Rheinische Friederich-Wilhelms-Universität, Bonn.
- Language use in the peripheries and centres of megacities: Comparing Hong Kong and Moscow [with Carolin Biewer, Elena Dieser & Ninja Schulz] (Talk). 8th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (BICLCE 8), University of Bamberg, September 26-28, 2019.
- Language and space in megacities – Developing an agenda for comparative research [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (Workshop). 8th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (BICLCE 8), University of Bamberg, September 26-28, 2019.
- “No Disagreement, Just Exchanging Opinion.” – Reconciling Speaker and Researcher Perspective on disagreements (Talk). Forum Junge Englische Linguistik in Bayern (FJUEL) 2019, Universität Bayreuth, September, 12-13, 2019.
- English in the peripheries and centres of megacities: Exploring the case of Hong Kong [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (Talk). 24th Conference of the International Association for World Englishes (IAWE 24), University of Limerick, June 20-22, 2019.
- Tracing identity (re)constructions in Hong Kong from 1903 to 1999 [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (Talk). 40th Annual Conference of the International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME 40), University of Neuchâtel, June 1-5, 2019.
- "But I think uh the situation in Hong Kong is different" – DISAGREEMENT in Hong Kong English (Talk). Fifth International Conference of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (ISLE), London. 17-20 July 2018.
- Does the successful integration of pragmatics into the foreign language classroom start at university? Asking prospective teachers of English (Poster). ALP Jahrestagung (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Linguistische Pragmatik e.V.), Stuttgart. 6 March 2018.
- Disagreeing in second-language varieties of English and learner Englishes (Talk). ISLE Summer School (International Society for the Linguistics of English), Regensburg. 4-7 October 2017.
- Studying pragmatic variation in second-language varieties of English with ICE – challenges and opportunities (Talk). 38th Annual International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME 38), Prague. 24-28 May 2017.
- Learning to do small talk –ideal or reality? Teachers' beliefs about the development of pragmatic competence in EFL classrooms (Poster). NEL-1 (Nachwuchstagung für Englische Linguistik), Würzburg. 1 July 2016.
- "Small Talk wär mal ganz gut, glaub ich." Pragmatic competence from the perspective of EFL teachers (Talk). BAELc5 (Fifth Bonn Applied English Linguistics Conference), Bonn. 3-4 June 2016.
- Gender Stereotypes and Discursive Strategies in Online Dating: A Contrastive Study of US American and Spanish Males (Talk). BAELc3 (Third Bonn Applied English Linguistics Conference), Bonn. 23-24 May 2014.