Prof. Dr. Jochen Achilles - Conference Papers, Lectures, and Presentations
1. "American Postmodern Aesthetics and the Postmodern Novel." International Conference on Postmodernism, Gummersbach, July 1978.
2. "Nationalism and Irish Drama." International Association for the Study of Anglo-Irish Literature Conference, Wuppertal, July 1981.
3. "The Stage Irishman in Irish Drama." International Association for the Study of Anglo-Irish Literature Conference, Graz, Austria, July 1984.
4. "Stereotypen im Werk Sheridan Le Fanus." Symposium "Erstarrtes Denken," Katholische Universität Eichstätt, October 1985.
5. With Klaus Lubbers: Organization, Lectures and Seminars of a Six-day Symposium on Irish Literature in Kazimierz, Poland, October 1987.
6. "The Travel Experience in Brian Friel's Philadelphia, Here I Come!" Symposium "The Travel Experience," Universität Mainz, June 1988.
7. "Intercultural Relations in Brian Friel's Works." International Association for the Study of Anglo-Irish Literature Conference, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, July 1988.
8. "Self-Determination and Self-Doubt in American Short Fiction of the Early Nineteenth Century." Anglistentag, Universität Marburg, October 1990.
9. "Edgar Allan Poe's New World." Symposium "Images of Discovery: New Worlds," University of Dijon, France, June 1991.
10. "Fantasy as Psychological Necessity: Sheridan Le Fanu's Fiction." International Gothic Conference, University of East Anglia, Norwich, England, July 1991.
11. "Concepts of History in Modern Irish Drama." International Association for the Study of Anglo-Irish Literature Conference, Trinity College, Dublin, July 1992.
12. "Charles Brockden Brown, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Composite Order: Concepts of Cultural Identity in Eighteenth- and Early Nineteenth-Century American Fiction." Southeastern American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies Conference, University of Alabama at Birmingham, March 1993.
13. Speaker at one seminar and two panel discussions of a symposium entitled "Ethnic Violence, European Integration, and Post-Cold War Disenchantment," University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, March 1993.
14. "(R)evolution versus Repetition: Concepts of Cultural Change in Irish Drama." Annual Meeting of the American Conference for Irish Studies, Villanova University, Pennsylvania, April 1993.
15. Participation in Seminars on Thoreau's Walden and Miller's Death of a Salesman, American Literature Association: Conference on American Literature, Baltimore, Maryland, May 1993.
16. "'Homesick for Abroad:' The Transition from National to Cultural Identity in Contemporary Irish Drama." 2nd Conference of the European Society for the Study of English (ESSE), Bordeaux, September 1993.
17. "Religion in Modern Irish Drama: Social Criticism and Spiritual Reorientation." Anglistentag, Katholische Universität Eichstätt, September 1993.
18. "National and Cultural Identity: The Case of Irish Drama." 3rd Annual Conference of the Polish Association for the Study of English" (PASE), Popowo nad Bugiem/University of Warsaw, April 1994.
19. "Multicultural Ireland: The Case of Contemporary Drama." Workshop Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Gesellschaft für die Neuen Englischsprachigen Literaturen (GNEL), Attendorn-Listernohl, July 1994.
20. "The Change of Paradigms and the Return of the Repressed in Tom Murphy's Drama." International Association for the Study of Anglo-Irish Literature Conference 1994, Universita di Sassari, Sardinia, Italy, September 1994.
21. "Religion in der irischen Literatur der Jahrhundertwende." Generalversammlung der Görres-Gesellschaft, Bamberg, September 1994.
22. "Failed Feminization: Masculinity and Identity in American Fiction of the Early Republic." Engendering American Studies: Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies (DGfA), Hamburg, June 6-9, 1995.
23. "Contemporary Drama and the Reality of Europe." Annual Conference of the German Society of Contemporary Theatre and Drama in English (CDE), Dresden, June 22-25, 1995.
24. "Teaching Utopian Fiction - A Contribution to Cultural Studies" Organization of and Contribution to a Workshop at the Anglistentag in Greifswald, September 25, 1995.
25. "In and Out of the Funhouse: Emotion in Postmodernism and Postcolonial Drama." International Conference "Emotion in Postmodernism," Mainz, January 7-10, 1996.
26. "Fay Weldon's Darcy's Utopia and the Utopian Tradition." International Conference "Engendering Realism and Postmodernism: Contemporary British Women's Fiction," Potsdam, October 3-6, 1996.
27. "'Men of the Crowd:' Identity and the Challenge of Urbanization in Early American Short Stories." International Conference "The Unfolding of America's National Identity," Eichstätt, October 9-11, 1996.
28. "Besieged Sleepy Hollows in Transatlantic Perspective: Identity Construction and Contestation in Washington Irving's The Sketch Book." International Conference "The Construction and Contestation of American Cultures and Identities in the Early National Period," Potsdam, January 23-26, 1997.
29. "The Communication of Technology in Early American Culture." Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies, Freiburg/Breisgau, May 20-23,1997.
30. "Fin de Siècle - Fin des Grandes Villes? Urban Culture in British Fiction at the End of the Last and in American Fiction at the End of this Century." Symposium Postmodernism and the Fin de Siècle," Schloß Rauischholzhausen, January 8-11, 1998.
31. "Blues Poetics and Cultural Memory in August Wilson's Drama." Ceremonies and Spectacles: America and the Staging of Collective Identities. European Association for American Studies Biennial Conference, Lisbon, April 3-6, 1998.
32. "Concepts of Cultural Identity and Contemporary Drama." Lecture at Paderborn University, November 1998.
33. "The Representation of Blackness in Modern and Postmodern American Drama." Symposium Representation and Decoration in a Postmodern Age, Universität Würzburg, January 7-10, 1999.
34. "The Search for Ethnic Identity and Dramatic Form in African American Plays of the Sixties." Annual Conference of the German Association of American Studies: "The Turbulent Sixties," Cologne, May 25-28, 1999.
35. "Poe and the Beast – Animal Presences in Transcultural Perspective." International Poe Symposium, Catholic University Eichstätt, September 12–14, 1999.
36. "Monkey Business in Intercultural Perspective." European Association for American Studies Conference - "Nature's Nation Revisited", Graz, April 14-17, 2000.
37. "Simulacral Surfaces and the Return of the Repressed in Millenial Perspective: Oscar Wilde's and Bret Easton Ellis's Fins de Siècle." International Conference "America at the Third Century and the Millenium." State University of Louisiana in Shreveport, Louisiana, October 7, 2000.
38. "Simulacral Surfaces and the Return of the Repressed in Millenial Perspective: Oscar Wilde's and Bret Easton Ellis's Fins de Siècle." University of Texas at Austin, October 10, 2000.
39. "Between Promised Land and Waste Land: Environmental Modes of Identity Constitution and the American Short Story." International Conference "From Landscape to Technoscape: Contestations of Space in American Culture." Universität Bayreuth, October 10-13, 2001.
40."Simulated Surfaces and the Return of the Repressed: Civilizational Dialectics in Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray and Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho." Dietz-Memorial Lecture, Mainz University, December 13, 2001.
41. "E Pluribus Unum: Schmelztiegel-Szenarien im amerikanischen Drama." Vortrag im Literatur- und Kulturwissenschaftlichen Kolloquium der Universität Bayreuth. 22. 01. 2002.
42. "Models of Multicultural Coexistence and Contemporary Drama – A Transatlantic Assessment." Workshop "Models of Multiculturalism? Race, Ethnicity, Nationality, and Citizenship in Transatlantic Perspective." Organizers: Patrick B. Miller and Elisabeth Schäfer-Wünsche. European Association for American Studies Conference: "The United States of/in Europe: Nationhood, Citizenship, Culture." Bordeaux, March 22-25, 2002.
43. "Staging the Commodification of Ethnicity: Intercultural America in Intermedial Drama." Presentation at the International Conference "Intercultural America," Mainz, December 12-15, 2002.
44. "Ethnicities and Modern Drama – A Transatlantic Assessment." Annual Conference of the German Association for American Studies "Cultural Interactions – Fifty Years of American Studies in Germany." Munich, June 10-13, 2003.
45. "Angels in America, Devils in Germany: Tony Kushner's Aesthetics of Redeemable Evil." Lecture at the Catholic University Eichstaett-Ingolstadt, July 6, 2005.
46. "Blackness and the Conformism of Commercial Theater: Intercultural America in Intermedial Drama." Presentation at the EAAS Biennial Conference "Conformism, Non-Conformism, and Anti-Conformism in the Culture of the United States," University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus, April 7-10, 2006.
47. "'Chasing the Devil's Tail/Tale' – Teuflische Amerikanische Literatur: Zur Territorialisierung des Bösen." Ringvorlesung "Der Teufel – Stationen einer kulturgeschichtlichen Karriere," Freie Universität Berlin, 28. 06. 2006.
48. "Benjamin Franklins Empfehlungen zu erfolgreicher Lebensführung." Urkundenfeier der Philosophischen Fakultäten der Universität Würzburg, Neubaukirche Würzburg, 24. 07. 2006.
49. "Staging the Commodification of African American and Irish Identities: Alice Childress' Trouble in Mind and Marie Jones' Stones in His Pockets," Presentation at the Conference "Transatlantic Exchange: African Americans and the Celtic Nations," Swansea University, Wales, March 28-30, 2007.
50. "The Representation of Ethnic Identities and the Intermedial Drama of Alice Childress and Marie Jones," University of Texas at Austin, American Studies Department, March 31, 2008.
51. "National and Ethnic Identity in African American Theatre," Presentation at the EAAS Biennial Conference "'E Pluribus Unum' or 'E Pluribus Plura'?" Oslo, Norway, May 9-12, 2008.
52. "Constructions and Contestations of Home in African American Theatre." Presentation at Conference on Constructions of Home, Münster, Westfalen, November 25-28, 2008.
53. "Liminal Identities in Contemporary Irish Drama." Presentation at the Spanish Association for Irish Studies-Conference Brandan Rising! Irish Identities Inside and Outside Ireland, La Laguna, Tenerife, April 28-30, 2010.
54. “Liminalität, Heterotopie und amerikanische Literatur.” Vortrag bei der Konferenz „Liminale Anthropologien“, Kloster Bronnbach, 04. bis 06. Oktober 2010.
55. "Ethnicity on Broadway and in Hollywood: Liminal Identities in African American and Irish Drama." Vortrag an der Universität Wien auf Einladung des dortigen Department of English und der Embassy of Ireland in Österreich am 24. Mai 2011.
56. "Redefinitions of the Postcolonial: Transnational Aesthetics in African American Drama." Vortrag bei der Konferenz "Disciplining the Margins or Relocating Postcolonial Studies" Universität Stuttgart im Waldhotel Zollernblick in Freudenstadt, 21.-24. Juli 2011.
57. "Liminality and American Short Stories: A Concept and Some of Its Uses." Vortrag bei der 23 rd Annual Conference of the American Literature Association, San Francsisco, May 24 to 27, 2012.
58. Conference Presentation "Irish Theatre (Studies) and Global Interrelations: Transnational Ireland in Elizabeth Kuti's Drama." International Association for the Study of Irish Literature (IASIL) Conference: Weighing Words: Interdisciplinary Engagements with and within Irish Literature, Montreal, Canada, July 30 to August 3, 2012.
59. Conference Presentation "Transnational Ireland and Elizabeth Kuti's Drama." Deutscher Anglistentag Potsdam, Germany, 19. – 22. September 2012.
60. Conference Presentation "Modes of Liminality in American Short Fiction." International Conference Liminality and the Short Story, Würzburg, Germany, 07.-10. März 2013.
61. Conference Presentation "Real Machines in Imaginary Gardens: Leo Marx's The Machine in the Garden and Environmental Liminality in Flannery O'Connor's 'A View of the Woods.'" Rural America. DGfA Annual Conference Erlangen May 30 to June 2, 2013.
62. "Bewusstseinsspaltung und Gesellschaftskritik in amerikanischer Fiktion: Von Edgar Allan Poe bis Bret Easton Ellis." Ringvorlesung WahnSinn in Literatur und Künsten, Universität Würzburg, 14. Januar 2014.
63. Conference Presentation "Liminality and the Short Story: Assessment and Perspectives." 25th American Literature Association Conference, Washington, DC, May 22-25, 2014.
64. Conference Presentation "Environmental Liminalities in American Short Stories: Negotiating Metaphysics and Materialism." Vienna 2014: Unbraiding the Short Story. 13th International Conference on the Short Story in English, Vienna, 16-19 July, 2014.
65. Vortrag "Forschungsansätze der American Studies und Funktionen der Literatur." Methoden-Symposion "Mittel und Wege" der Graduiertenschule für die Geisteswissenschaften, Universität Würzburg, 13.02.2015.
66. Conference Presentation "Interethnic Conflicts, Intercultural Negotiations, and (Trans-)National Perspectives in Simon J. Ortiz's Short Fiction." Reading Short Fiction in Transnational Contexts: European network for Short Fiction Research (ENSFR) Annual Conference 2015. Trinity College and University College Dublin. 17-18 April, 2015.
67. Wissenschaftliche Begleitung und Interview mit Dr. Anna Dorothea Schneider für "Arthur Miller – Klassiker des Welttheaters" SWR 2 Wissen. Südwestfunk Mainz. O8.10.2015.
68. Conference Presentation "Changing Cultures of Solitude: Reclusiveness in Sandra Cisneros's The House on Mango Street" at Cultures of Solitude: International and Interdisciplinary Conference, Universität Würzburg, 30. bis 31. Juli 2015.